Thursday, January 27, 2011

Who knew

Who knew today wasn't Friday? Apparently everyone except me!

I'd like to blame it on my recent abundance of time however I have been known get my days mixed up, abundance or not. Normally, I'd have figured it out before I blasted it to the world that I am a day ahead of myself.

We put up fencing today, along the backside of the yard and further down the side of the yard. There is also a make shift "Patch blocker" at the end of the drive, he is partial to the patch of grass that sits on a double ledge. Ten to twelve more t-posts and another spool of tape and the entire yard will be fenced in, the only stretch that is not is the stretch of blackberries so...for now it's looking pretty good. This allows the horses to wander the yard and the pasture at will without me hovering about watching Patch try to sneak to the very edge of the ledge.

I am thinking of doing some volunteer work at a local barn or even better a rescue. I can clean a stall like there is no tomorrow, I can de-tangle anything, I can feed like a pro, and oh my goodness you should see me handle turn out time! I'm not looking to get compensated with board, lessons, arena time, or with anything except the experience and exposure to other horses and people who share the same passion. No, I don't strive to make a living mucking stalls or turning out horses :-) I do however need to get out of the house for a bit and volunteering either for a local barn that needs help or a rescue in the area that needs help seems a damn fine way to spend some of this excess time. Maybe I'll do both.

I can't help but wonder how wise it is to keep myself so ummm concentrated (sounds better than isolated). I am not going to go into the why. I know it; no one else needs me waxing poetic about it. So volunteering is, in my humble opinion, a great idea.

How to break the "kids" of the new born feeding schedule is an entirely different situation! They are entirely too smart for their own good sometimes. Patch is a great example. We have that make shift "fence" (two lines of tape) blocking the drive so that he can not get to the dangerous spot. Today they were out in the yard and he moseyed his way up to the drive, meandered over to the end of the drive, looked at the "fence", turned around disgusted. He did this at least three times and once he trotted off as if he could not believe what the world was coming too!

Short of the fencing, the volunteer idea, and Patch prancing about cause we took away his special spot not much to speak of happened here today.

If you're reading this and you're in the Poulsbo area and you know of a barn or a rescue that isn't far far away and wouldn't mind a helping hand for nothing feel free to let me know! I am not sure how you go about offering up no strings attached free labor...I'll figure it out however any help is always appreciated :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More