Monday, January 24, 2011

The Captain is unsettled

Today I was cleaning Patch's stall, wondering how in the world he makes such a complete mess every single day when I noticed Leo sitting in the doorway. It's not unusual for him to follow me about the stall cleaning process however today's stance was slightly different. He was watching me the whole time, usually he is watching the horses. I didn't pay much attention to it until I remembered that he had done the same thing in Katie's stall except there he was huddled by my legs, even sitting in the middle of her (very neat) pile of well you know! Katie has an area in which she uses the restroom, she does not deviate from that area; she is a dream to clean up after.

In any case he was acting weird, has been all day. He's not bothered the horses, much, and he hasn't left my side pretty much all day.

What's really odd is that I just got back from the beet pulp run alone; Leo would not come with me to the barn. Normally if Leo hears the words barn or horse he is camped at the door.

I often wonder if I give them too much credit of course that is usually after I think something like "Hmmm I didn't hear any yelping so I know he didn't get hurt, I wonder if one of the horses said something mean to him".

Yes I know that my dog does not "talk". Yes I know the horses don't "talk" either. Both communicate though and they certainly communicate with each other.

Something went down in the pasture today that's for sure. That, by the way, sounds almost like a bad made for TV movie "Something went down in the pasture".

In any case I am pretty darned convinced that something occurred to unsettle the Captain. I'll have a dozen ideas and situations played out in my head by morning, none of which belong anywhere but in a children's series; The Book of Leo.

There are people who believe Leo to be scary, the mail lady is one of them. He's really kind of a chicken, he hides behind me when he is scared. If it's dark and we are doing stalls he will only go so far to the dump pile and then wait for you in the lit area. Maybe he's not scared, maybe he is really standing guard? Interesting point of view however I don't buy it.

When he's scared he doesn't go far and he keeps close eye on every little thing I do; this usually finds him literally at my feet. He has been like that all day and now doesn't want to go to his very own version of Disney Land. That all tells me something unsettled the little guy. We're gonna test this by returning once more to Disney Land to turn off lights, I am confident he will pass.

I'm pretty sure something happened with the horses during lunch time. I gave everyone lunch, watched them play musical hay piles for a bit then I was off to get ready to clean the stalls. This meant I had to thump my way through the mud, grab the wheelbarrow and my trusty fork and lug it up to Patch's stall. I wonder if my neighbors see me walking around in my silly rubber boats, half covered in mud, half covered in hay, wearing a pony tail so short that if I saw on someone else I'd make fun of it (in my head), dragging my coveted pink wheelbarrow, talking to either a dog, a horse, or myself? I certainly hope not.

Leo really didn't care what I was doing at this point, he was romping about like a bunny rabbit watching the horses play musical hay piles. I think it must be one of his favorite times of the day!

When I got to the barn I discovered that the wheelbarrow was half full so I pondered the best course of action. I ponder all the time these days, weighing every decision. Taking time to weigh every decision is new to me, I don't normally allow myself "time". I worry sometimes that I am taking this new found freedom a bit too far. I don't worry too much.

I decided that going up to Patch's stall with a half full wheelbarrow was not the best use of time and/or space in the wheelbarrow; if I went up there half full it meant two trips down the hill, through the mud, to grandma's dump pile I'd go.

Katie is crazy neat in her stall so I figured I'd fill up the second half of the wheelbarrow in her stall, dump it and head to the shelter.

About half way through Leo came and sat at Katie's stall gate. About three quarters of the way through Leo was sitting next to me, leaned up against my leg, looking suspiciously out of the barn and then at me. We went and checked to see if any bogey men were in the driveway a few times before I decided we'd had enough of this game. Leo parked it at my feet again except that when it did not produce the desired response he sat smack dab in the middle of the pile courtesy of Katie and did not seem interested in moving.

This continued up at Patch's stall then back down at the barn in Texas and Amber's stall.

I have managed to hurt my back somehow and spent the bulk of the afternoon on the couch propped up against pillows, Leo curled up next to me. I figured everything was fine until I went to go deliver beet pulp and Leo completely passed on coming to the barn.

I'm headed back up to turn out lights and we'll see if Leo passes for the second time. I'm convinced something went down in the pasture during lunch time that scared the Captain. There was no ruckus so I'm leaning toward a threat.

We'll see how he does; if he opts to stay inside maybe I'll ask Patch what happened, he sees everything. Of course that might fall into the "I give them too much credit" category!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More