Tuesday, January 4, 2011

They are smarter than we know

So I've decided that not only are they more honest then most two leggers they are also a lot smarter then we know.

This last month has been a bit of a struggle to get back to me; my little world has been turned slightly upside down in case ya didn't know ;-) I don't do well with upside down, I make lists, I plan, I budget, I make more lists and then budget even further into the future...it's part of who I am. Rendering my lists moot...whew it doesn't go over well. In any case I haven't been my normal happy go lucky, let's play with the ponies self these days and I think they know it.

I think the only one who hasn't noticed how "odd" I am acting is Katie likely because she's been at Sarah's for goodness nearly a year, now that I think about it. We were approaching a year this March I believe.

My confidence took quite the hit and I am pretty sure they all noticed, my worry went through the roof and again I think they all noticed. Tex for example was completely normal for the first two weeks but the last couple weeks he's been a bit more demanding. Maybe demanding isn't the right word, he nudges me lately more then he has ever before, if I am near his stall. If he is outside he will come down to the pasture and stand right at the gate, hang his beautiful head over the gate and look at me as if trying to figure out where I went off to. He actually looks worried sometimes when he looks at me and if you knew Tex you'd know he has facial expressions that rival Leo. It bothers me that he looks worried, that causes me to worry a bit more and around it goes. It's like a bad Ferris Wheel ride:-)

Patch well he's been eyeballing me, yeah he does that. I get a lot of sidelong glances like "umm what's up?" and he challenges me more these days in his "oh yeah well what about this" way that Patch has. Today they were all outside and I opened the gate so they could come hang out in the yard; the grass finally thawed and they like it. There is this one spot right at the very top of the drive that has grass, Patch has ALWAYS thought it held grass better than anything in the yard; problem is this patch of grass is also right by a ledge that scares me so he is not allowed to be there. No one else bothers but if they are in the yard Patch will work his way slowly up there, looking around every once in awhile just in case...today was no different. I was cleaning his stall actually when I came out and there he was over by the ledge so I scooted him out of there (much to his chagrin), he went back to the yard and I went back to the stall. I check on them every couple of minutes when they are out and about; mostly I check on Patch, everyone else is pretty stoked to be wandering around to find themselves in trouble...So I stick my head out of the stall (I've worked my way to Katie's by now) and what do I see?? Patch trying to climb the stairs that lead right to the patch of grass he covets. Seriously?? Tex wouldn't go near the stairs, Amber sure wouldn't bother and Katie well she is not to be bothered with that kind of silliness. Still there is Patch one foot on the first step looking right at me as I walked out of the stall....He popped his head up quicker than Leo does when he thinks I have opened the fridge; the look on his face, talk about priceless. He turned right around and went about munching grass in the yard as if nothing had happened...

It was about half an hour later when I was placing dinner in the stalls, cleaning water buckets, and getting ready to pull everyone in. Patch figured it out before anyone else and headed right to his stall. He got in there and with a mouth full of hay looked at me over his gate as if to say "ummm maybe, just maybe, lady you need to get out of this funk". I like to think a "we miss our happy two legged buddy" was part of his look cause goodness knows I miss their happy two legged buddy!

It's funny that they all know so well that things are a little off; Tex looks at me with his big beautiful eyes and I remember that it's not all about me, Patch well he demands the focus that he has come to know by trying to sneak up the stairs, and Amber well she tears the fence down reminding me that things aren't quite what they used to be and she's not sure why. Katie, god bless her, has been an angel through this time.

It's about 7pm and we are about half an hour away from Beet Pulp time. Tonight I think I will sit in the barn, brush a tail or two and remember who I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More