Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Favorites, do I play them?

In order of importance there is no difference, there are only reason(s) why they share that importance. That thought danced around my head last night as I was doing our final feeding and closing of the day. We have a new feeding system that I think is brilliant, we'll have to discuss that later.

I have four horses, one dog, and a cat that live with me. I love them all right down to my toes. They all make my heart swell, my eyes sparkle, and my stomach drop if there is something amiss.

Last night as I was walking up to deliver lights out hay Patch came over to his "door", he must have heard the thump thump thump of my rubber boots hitting me in the back of my leg with every step (they don't really fit me). Once he spotted me carrying the trusty hay delivery bag he nodded his head once. As I got closer the nod turned into a nicker that sounds like "uh uh uh oh oh oh". I think it is one of the cutest sounds in all of the world. Right about the time I was bent over with my head on one side of the gate my feet on the other, Patch's cute little feet inches from my head, probably wondering why the hell I am forever crawling around half way underneath him, it struck me again how very much I love the old guy. It isn't like I walk around all day not knowing how much I care for them however there are times throughout the day when my love for them overwhelms the moment. Half way between Patch's gate/door, holding onto a bag of hay with one hand, the top bar with the other, ill-fitting rubber boots sinking deeper in the mud on one side, my eyes fascinated by Patch's dancing little feet on the other side, listening to his now impatient "uh uh uh oh oh oh" (hello let's move it lady), was one of those moments.

As I was walking back to the barn to shut off the lights and close the day I found myself wondering about "playing favorites". I have those moments with each one of them everyday; each moment just as precious as the next and each of them as different as they could be. In matter of importance there is no difference, the reasons behind the importance holds the only difference.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More