Sunday, July 25, 2010

Big love Texas style

As you might have noticed I am doing my best to introduce you to the magical animals that are helping to shape me into the grown up that even I am proud of. Texas has found me a little speechless but I'll do my level best.

Texas belongs to Sarah, the intent is for Tex to belong with me once everything settles with Katie. I seriously can't see giving him up, he is the biggest love I've ever met. He is also hilarious and gorgeous and perfectly content to ride with an old grandma like myself. With him I don't feel I am doing an injustice by not wanting to go to the show rings. I think in Tex I did find the partner I dreamed that Katie would be. Funny how life works out isn't it.

He's here at the farm while Katie is at Sarah's and we're taking lessons (bareback) with Sarah every Thursday. We also ride with Gary (Kate's dad) and on occasion by ourselves. He's helping me to learn which I think it awfully sweet of him. That he will lay his big head in my lap and let me fuss over him completely certainly does help in the "I think Tex is the greatest ever" arena! I can't imagine him not being with me to be honest.

Over the last couple months that he's been here we've all settled into a routine and a coexistence that seems to suit everyone. At first Perris and Tex didn't exactly hit it off, there was biting :-( Poor P looked like someone took clippers to her beautiful summer coat with no apparent pattern or logic. They were not to be out together for a bit; that's all changed and everyone is getting along famously. Well Leo still bothers Tex a lot but Tex just sorta looks at him like he's lost his little dog mind and goes about his business. Tex has on occasion made it clear to Mr. Leo that he is bigger then him; once Leo was sitting next to me nicely and Tex was grazing in the yard, Tex must have caught wind of this situation (Leo sitting perfectly still) and came over to stick his big nose right in Leo's face and sorta sniffed him like "Hmmm oh you again" looked at me and walked away as if to say "You might think that dog is great but I have reservations!" Leo stayed at my side and continued to watch Tex graze. There have also been a quite a few times when Leo raced up the pasture only to be severely out run by Tex (Leo really thinks when Tex runs it's some kind of running game for them both). Poor Leo hates being outrun and it happens to him all the time! He comes back a little dejected every time, I don't think he understands why everyone is so much faster then him!

Today Tex is out and about with Logan and we'll be riding this evening when all errands are done and it's a nice cool summer evening! We'll be going bareback and slow so as to not fall off his beautiful back! I'm trying to learn to ride bareback, I want perfect balance and I want to understand how Tex feels so that it's not a concerted effort but a natural flow. It's a challenge and I have a knot the size of an orange on my ass to prove that balance is lacking! We are working on it though and we'll keep working on it till I move so in tune with Tex you can't really tell where one begins and the other ends; do I realize this could take me the rest of my days?!? Umm yep, good thing I am not in a hurry and Tex is young!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More