Sunday, July 25, 2010

Patchy, the pony we all love

Patchy came to the farm because he was lame and the gentleman that owned him was unable to care for him. He appeared to have an issue with his tendon and couldn't really walk on it well much less be ridden, he had lost a lot of weight and as it turned out had a pretty darned serous worm issue. Patch was put on stall rest for a good while then we built a small paddock for him up by the pump house and then eventually he was able to go out into the pasture with the others. Today he looks fabulous and boy can he move! Watching Patch run is just awe inspiring, I think we should nick name him Speedy Gonzalez!

Technically he was brought here to be Tonio's pony but really he's grandma's pony :-) He's a small guy, with a slight build; for once in my life being on the smaller side works to my advantage cause I am not too big for him! I hope that in the next year or so Tonio gets to spend more time at Grandma's and also take advantage of riding Patch, he is very proud of "his pony".

It's been fantastic to watch him come out of his shell as he feels better and better; he certainly has personality! Him walking up to the house for treats is one example of him knowing what he wants and simply going about obtaining that. One day I looked out the front door to see where he was and low and behold he was in the doorway! He had the right idea cause he did get a carrot out of the deal.

We're told he's 20 but it's so very hard to see him as that old; he acts like a very young guy and promises to be a part of the family for the duration!

We've started light riding with him and he's doing great. We don't do a lot cause the last thing I want to do is see him hurt his leg again so we are taking it easy. Patch doesn't necessarily agree with this logic and really would prefer we go fast fast fast; heck he even walks fast. It's been great though and will continue to be; I want to take him to trail competitions one day, that kind of competition interests me a great deal and I think he'd be just fantastic! Not to mention what a sight he'd be, he is a beautiful Appy with the greatest colors and face to match. I have a feeling he'd probably enjoy beating everyone too :-)

By next summer Patch and I will both be so much better, I am actually pretty darned excited about the whole thing! Keep an eye out on the trails cause we'll be there ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More