Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lazy lazy weekend at the farm

I came home Friday night with a bit of a heavy heart surrounding my job and the changes that are underway so I did what I do; I stayed up at the barn till 10pm, cleaned stalls, arranged halters, fussed over Texas and Patch and talked to the "girls" about my troubles. I sure wish they could talk back sometimes! That being said I think Perris would tell me to shut up, work is nothing compared to someone brushing out your mane and Logan would probably tell me to grow up!

I decided to take it easy this weekend, clean carpets and enjoy the horses; I did just that. Well except for me deciding that soaking hay by the barn and dragging four buckets of hay and water to the pasture was a good idea...ummm water weighs a lot more then hay! Lesson learned, soak it and remove it before moving it. I swear they watch me do these things, sweating and grunting my way up the drive with a fifty pound bucket in tow and laugh to themselves. Short of that Saturday was pretty darn laid back, which I needed!

Sunday has turned into a pretty relaxed day as well, Leo and Lex (I am dog sitting Leo's sister) woke me up at 6:30am and refused to let me sleep so the day did start early but most do around here... I seriously did nothing today, I cleaned out the stalls and tended to the horses but there was nothing major happening at all. I managed to soak myself with the hose when I was filling and cleaning water buckets so I spent from 4pm on in my sweats; kinda proud of myself really, not only is that relaxing I didn't even match! Grey sweats, a brown shirt, and pink over sized crocks..now there is some serious fashion! And I wonder why the horses laugh at me!

I think the highlight of the weekend was Patch scaring himself right out of the barn when he wasn't supposed to be in there anyway! P and him were inside last night cause everyone steals Patch's beet pulp and rather than play food referee I decided to bring him in and P wanted to follow so she got to come in as well. In any case I let them out this morning and I was going to put them in the pasture with Logan and Tex so they could all play but Patch apparently had other ideas and wanted to stay in the yard. I debated for a few minutes....force him into the pasture or let him hang in the yard with P for awhile, I decided to let them wander the yard for a few hours. I check on them every once in awhile so I know exactly where they are; honestly like every 10 minutes cause I worry and at one point I looked up and Patch is standing completely still and straight looking right into the barn! I called to him from the porch, he looked at me then looked straight into the barn again. I could see that he was a little upset about something but damned if I knew what since he was just fine not more then five minutes before. My first thought was P had gone back into her stall to finish her hay and Patch was confused but nope P was munching away at the side of the house....

I got up there and Patch wasn't about to move, he just watched me go investigate and as it turned out Patch had walked into the barn, knocked the treats off the bench (managed to even get the lid off), took the lid off the grain bucket (which is empty on purpose thank god), and sent a few other things to the floor in the process. I started cleaning up his little adventure and eventually he came to watch (I had no idea he was behind me). I turned my head to look over my shoulder and there was Patch's face right in mine. I still can't decide if he felt guilty (he did look pretty sheepish) or if the noise had scared him :-)

I needed this calm relaxing weekend watching them enjoy the sun and each other to prepare for next week. I begin a new regimen tomorrow one that involves getting off my butt and exercising with consistency. I need to be in better shape to successfully ride and although I don't want to jump into the show circuit I want to be the best rider I can be for my boys! That does mean that I have to get my muscles back, being thin can fool a lot of people into thinking you're in great shape but it's sure not fooling Tex! So tonight it's early to bed for everyone, including me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More