Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hey you're late

I woke up this morning to my Microsoft alerts and couldn't figure out why or what day it was! I put that schedule on my calendar, recurring, seven days a week. It had been popping (and dinging) reminders for an hour and a half by the time I realized what was waking me.

The donks start saying good morning as soon as they notice the light flip on in the kitchen or when daylight breaks, which ever comes first. They will remind me that it's morning until I come out and feed them. The first one is a "good morning" the following are "Helllllloooooo you might not be hungry yet but we are and guess what? We knocked the water over again and might just dehydrate if you don't get yourself out here verrrrrry soon!" That, of course, is not a quote.

They've been moved down to the donkey house so now not only do they do this every morning, they can now stare at the kitchen window while doing it so I can see their tortured and neglected faces! It is on rare occasion that they eat any later than 8:00am. I am rarely out there before 7:00am, usually right at 7:00am during the week and 7:30am on the weekends. Donkey's apparently don't tell time though. I wish they'd learn. They ate at about 7:45 today and they did turn over their water bucket again. "oh the donks...." goes through my head at least a million times a week! It definitely did this morning!

Leo isn't much better when he wakes up and figures out this is not one of those days where I drag out the dreaded black bag and leave him all alone for nine hours a day! Then it's all about "let's go to the barn, come on I wanna harass (chase) the ducks, I wanna run in the barn and catch the mouse I know lives there, aren't we taking a ride"?! He'll get this across to me by going out when we get up, coming back in a few minutes later to find me, walk outside again, repeat. If I am sitting down during this he will sit down next to me, look at me occasionally, and wait for me to stand up. If I stand up, he jumps up headed to the door then follows me around confused when I am not headed to the door.

The horses are more polite, they might come and stand at the fence down by the house and look over as if to remind me that I might want to take a look at the clock. Today Patch and Tex were standing at the bottom fence looking toward the house, an awful handsome pair, and I wanted a picture. Having faith that they'd stand there looking handsome and still I went to get my camera, they were still there waiting! I get out there, start fiddling with the zoom, and end up with a picture of them walking away!

All of it did remind me that, regardless of the fear, this whole thing from donks to ducks is well worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More