Monday, July 26, 2010

Isn't he beautiful?

Now let's guess who I am talking about ;-)

It was a big day, as expected. Today was my first day at work "disengaged" from the front line support team which for me was kinda hard and I felt pretty darned lost for the better part of the day. I did however do something huge; someone came to me with a question, there was no obvious answer and when that was determined I sent them to someone else instead of diving in and trying to figure it out myself. This may not be huge for some but it's huge for me.

Anyway as I drove onto the road that leads to my little paradise I realized just how much I loved coming home. It was a nice comfortable feeling, looking forward to all the things awaiting me, even though some of those things equal wheelbarrows full of crap. I rounded the corner and saw Tex and Logan hanging out in the pasture next to Patch's stall, I came down the drive to Patch nodding his head at me and Perris chimed in as soon as she noticed the car too. I do represent dinner ya know! It is however nice to see them all and then of course there was Leo bouncing around like a retarded bunny rabbit the minute I opened the door. The poor guy can never decide if going potty is more important than greeting me full force, the first five minutes are full of sentences like "no no honey let's go potty, yes I missed you too, no jumping Leo no jumping" If I am late "no biting mommy" is often thrown in there for good measure. He doesn't really bite he just tries to drag me around with his mouth, usually that means I have to supervise going potty before he relaxes!

I have about an hour to kill before I must go up and clean the stalls, I decided to wait till it cooled down a bit and let them all eat. Logan and Tex are eating outside up by the pump house and the two little ones are in the pasture. Logan and Tex think this is the biggest treat ever which works for me cause it means I can relax after today before we start any real cleaning.

I have to also figure priorities, it's what I "should" be doing now. I have a mile long list of things I want to do and want to obtain...I want to build an arena, I want to get a saddle from Sarah, I want a bitless bridle for Patch and I want one specifically for Texas too, I want to replace the floors in the stalls, I want to put a round pen up, I want to transform the shelter into two stalls with paddocks....however I did realize today that it's late July which means rainy season is right around the corner and what the farm needs is a bit more important then me building an arena and a round pen when what I have works perfectly fine! Mud control is what I need to focus on; that is so damned boring though, the thought of building an arena is far more exciting to me! However priorities are priorities and so we're shifting the list around a bit...gutters for the barn (mine are old and not...well working), gravel for the area that inevitably will turn to mud come October, a ditch for draining behind the shelter, fixing the footing in the shelter (I found the greatest idea ever for that today; when I was feeling lost at work I did what any red blooded American girl would do and surfed the web for "mud control"). Now I can obsessively budget mud control into my long list of wants and needs that the farm and the horses provide!

I think I will go up and see what Tex is up to and clean stalls, it's been a long one and I have to get up early to start the day. I am thinking of changing my hours to 7am - 4pm at work so my day "seems" longer. Being I am no longer managing the front line group and managing only myself I don't really see a problem. I'm sure I'll wrap the night up with a new "schedule", if I write it down I am more apt to follow it and seems all my wants are going to need a level of discipline this lady has not employed for a little bit :-)

Thanks to Jenny for coming over and helping me soak the hay tonight and wrangle P and patch into the pasture; Patch was such a good boy for her I was proud. Honestly there was no wrangling involved :-) I really do love that old guy, he gets better and better every day. It's like watching a flower bloom; maybe I like it so much cause Patch is older and coming back into himself and I can relate...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More