Saturday, July 24, 2010

Perris, first love horsey style

Perris...my my has that girl taught me a lot.

When I moved to "The Farm" a great friend of mine had her horses here and I quite honestly sat around and just gapped in awe at them, all three of them. There was Easy, Charlie, and Perris when I moved in last Sept (Sept 2009). My experience with horses was limited to one little trail ride I barely remembered at about 14 or 15 and galloping about the playground in elementary school pretending to be on a horse (I was good at it by the way!). I, like every little girl, grew up thinking horses were magical. I did not however have one ounce of experience with actual horses. I grew up in the city for the most part and there is simply no room for horses in the city!

When I first met them I was scared, terrified I suppose is more accurate, however I did try to play it pretty cool; I don't think I fooled Kate or Perris. I know I never fooled Charlie, he still takes every opportunity to let me know that I am anything but experienced enough to "handle" him :-).

I watched Kate like a hawk for months, googled every horse term she tossed out there and tried with all my might to learn all there was to learn about this "horse stuff". I impressed myself with my ability to soak it up of course, that being said I sure wasn't gonna actually get on them. Kate had me get on Easy for about five minutes, had me lead him for about the same, and let me "lunge" him one day when I had first moved in. It was one of the most intimating things I have ever experienced and Easy was just that...easy. I'll never forget what she told me "You have to convince them you are bigger then them". I am not bigger then most people let alone a horse!

Perris, the Princess, or P, depending on my mood was (and still is) quite a different story; she isn't "easy". She came to Kate and Gary (Kate's dad) through her Uncle in Eastern Washington (where Easy lives). Perris is 7 or 8, I can never remember, and truly one of the prettiest horses you will ever see. She looks like a Barbie Doll horse; the cutest face ever and a coat to die for, not to mention the mane and tail on her. She is however very reserved ;-). I don't think she let me touch her for a good three months! With P you have to prove over and over that she can trust you and that you are worthy of her attention. She is very clear about it, if she doesn't want you touching her...you won't touch her!

One day she had twigs all in her mane, I still don't know what she did but they were all over her beautiful long blonde mane! I was a touch braver by this time and fairly convinced that she'd let me near her (I was the treat lady after all), I climbed under the fence and spent about 30 minutes untangling her mane and removing the twigs. It was our bonding moment, we have a great relationship today. She is most definitely my first "horse love" and will always be that; she reminds me of myself so much it's kinda freaky. I firmly believe that it is an honor to be close to me and to touch me...well you better be pretty damn special! I can respect a girl that feels the same and P does :-)

She's helped me get over fears, she's bolstered my confidence and reminded me time and time again that loving someone is an honor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More