Saturday, March 17, 2012

Why I am proud (or my hero carries a rasp)

Joe, the farrier, was out today. I was pretty excited because it was Brody's fourth go round and his foot was very close to looking downright handsome. I was pretty sure we'd walk away from today's appointment with photo worthy tootsies for Mr. Brody.

Rev was going to have the benefit of Joe, that also excited me. He's got some cracks that concern me, had a mild to moderate case of scratches, and was definitely long in the toe. I knew Joe would do a few things, all of them hugely important to me. I knew he'd introduce himself to Rev and not just manhandle him, I knew he'd ask me where he was from, what he had been through, what my concerns were, and I knew he'd follow all that up with talking me through every move he made on Rev's feet.

Yes Miss. Katie was done however, her feet are pretty easy; she's got perfectly healthy strong feet. Trim 'em up and she is done. Today was no different for her. The only difference with Katie is there is no misbehaving allowed; she knows way better. In her defense she never does :-) The only thing we discussed was her impressive (no pun intended) legs.

Joe didn't disappoint; Brody went first. Brody, although he knows Joe, still looks like he is convinced if he gives up that foot...it might not come back. He also likes to side step out of reach. Joe always manages to calm Brody's nerves and Brody has gotten much better as a result. Brody's face shows it all, I worry when I see him upset. Joe, thankfully, understands my desire to wrap Brody in bubble wrap and does not sidelong glace at me while I stand there and rub his chest, talk softly to him and kiss his big giant nose. It not only helps me relax that Joe doesn't judge, it helps Brody. As I had hoped Joe was able to remove almost the very last bit of that horrible hole Brody had in his toe. His foot looks downright cute in my opinion. His backs are in great shape and his other front is as well. I do believe that my favorite thoroughbred is well past the hump that caused me to wanna wrap him in bubble wrap! I'll still worry and when he gets that "Oh no" look in his eyes I'll still rub his chest and whisper to him. I'll still want to wrap him in bubble wrap but with each passing day Brody proves himself to be stronger than most would have thought possible eight months ago.

People who knew Brody when he was rescued see him, or pictures of him, now and say things that praise my efforts. The other day my mom said something about what a good job I had done with him, we were talking about how great he is doing I am sure. In any case, I replied that he had really done all the work; I didn't make him better, I just gave him what he needed to start the process. That included bringing people into his life like Joe and scores more that have helped me to make the right decisions where his recovery is/was concerned. I facilitated. You bet I am proud as all get out when I look at him, he's an amazing being and for some reason he found it in him to trust me and allow himself to accept the care he needed.

He had a choice. He was in horrible condition, he had been in pain a long time, and the poor guy had virtually no hope left. He decided to accept the help, he didn't have to. Brody could have gone in either direction, that he chose to let me help him makes me proud.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More