Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spoiled, you know kinda like curdled milk.

Leo is spoiled, or so I have heard. Katie and Brody as well. I'd almost bet that you could attach that label to a variety of animals, including those at the barn (Diamond Hill Ranch).

I really dislike the term. No matter who says it, no matter who is being referenced, I instantly think of curdled milk.

I admit that I give more weight to personality then the average Joe. I admit that I indulge the same. I do not do it to the detriment of (insert name).

Leo has his own couch, yes couch. No one really sits there but Leo and it is referred to as Leo's couch.

Katie gets warm beet pulp cause she loves it, she does not need it. She is the opposite of a hard keeper however watching me prepare everyone's meal and leaving her out is not something I have the heart to do. Does Katie get an excess, no. Does Katie get what she thinks is pretty special, yes.

Brody not only gets warm beet pulp, lately he's also gotten nightly massage sessions. We haven't done that since late September however he is pretty upset over Rev and reassuring him that he is special is important. Massaging him, not a bonafide equine massage, I'm not a real therapist, has always been a special thing for him and I. Bonding if you will.

Rev gets at least a half hour of undivided attention every night, last night we spent probably a full hour grooming and talking. He's confused right now and he needs to know he is safe, loved, and will be taken care of. The time we spend will hopefully lessen his confusion and allow him to settle into the farm with minimal fear and insecurity.

Austin gets special treatment too, his beet pulp is delivered fresh and warm every morning and every evening. Austin gets brushed a lot cause I have found that he likes it, makes him all sleepy faced. Austin hangs his head over his stall and I rub his forehead, usually his head lands somewhere in the nook of my other arm and we talk. He likes it, I like it. Win win.

I've heard about how spoiled Leo is since about a week after he came to live with me.

I want a new term. When I hear spoiled I think ruined; curdled milk, rotten fruit, moldy cheese. Unusable and downright yucky.

Animals and people don't spoil, I refuse to believe that. Overindulgence isn't good for anyone, human or otherwise, I believe that wholeheartedly. The ponies and Leo have to listen because I am in charge of their care and unless they can grow thumbs, learn to speak English and get a job, they have to follow the rules.

I've written about this scores of times and still have yet to pin point why it pisses me off so badly when people attach that to an animal or person. A spoiled person is really just a selfish person, think about it. A spoiled animal, well they behave badly, they may bite, they may kick, they may disregard the rules cause they figure they are entitled. Does that happen to an animal cause they are well taken care of? No, I don't think so. Do I have a very different philosophy where they are concerned, yes sir and ma'am I do.

They have personalities, they think, they feel, they should be allowed to express themselves, in my opinion. Expressing themselves should never equate to bad or dangerous behavior.

Every animal in my care has special quirks that I indulge, every single one.

Leo gets a beef stick nearly every time I go to the gas station. If Leo doesn't get one I am not greeted with growling and the like, he does indeed pout and let me know that he is disappointed. I usually reassure him that life is not over and we're all good. I could go on and on about the special things Mr. Leo is allowed but you get the point.

By traditional definition Leo is spoiled cause of a myriad of things that "normal dogs" don't get to do.

By traditional definition Katie is spoiled. I'm pretty sure anyone that has met the lovely Miss Katie would agree that the girl has opinions and I've never stifled them. Does it mean she gets to step on my toes cause she wants to get to the pasture faster then necessary? No, that's not safe for her or me and keeping her safe (and me too) is my primary job.

I don't give two licks what anyone thinks of Brody; that horse will be accommodated for the rest of his days. He's been through enough.

I get so bent out of shape when someone declares that my loving them and giving them what, I believe, every being deserves, spoils them. It makes it sound like I have ruined them. Ruined them for what? For who?

Frankly pisses me off, insults me.

If one of them is upset I want to know, and you know what they let me know. Not by biting my hand off or kicking me in my butt with giant legs, Leo lets me know he is unhappy by raising his brows in a million different ways. Katie shakes her head no, I shit you not, when she is upset. Brody stands as still as a statue and refuses to look your way until you walk to him. Rev is still pretty apprehensive but when he is upset, usually at Brody, he comes to the fence and waits for you. He needs reassurance right now and it's my job to make sure he has that. "Should" I play pasture referee? I'd bet most people would say no. I, again, don't care. They all live here and well they have to be nice. That's one of the rules here on the farm, everyone must be nice. In return they are treated very well.

Someone needs to make up a new word because spoiled should not, in my opinion, be applied to a living being.

What if you had a garden and you watered the garden every day, talked to your plants, gave them special vitamins that might not be in the dirt that YOU planted them in, and they grew to be huge, sweet, well rounded vegetables, would you be guilty of spoiling your garden? Nope, not until you stuck said veggies in the fridge and forgot about them...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More