Wednesday, April 4, 2012

You don't have to climb into the ring with the gorilla.

I'm often viewed as passive. I refuse to believe that a physical reaction is anything but that; a reaction, and a stupid one at that.

This is not to say that I do not get angry enough to want to physically punish someone for a hurt caused to me or a being I love.

That is a huge misconception.

I've tried many times to write on this subject. There is a phrase that dances around in my head every time I sit down and attempt to explain my feelings surrounding violence. I choose, every single time, not to use it. It's melodramatic and belongs in a poem, buried beneath metaphor.

Truth is I don't believe in violence. I have never believed that wacking someone, human or otherwise, taught them anything other than "If you do this you will get wacked and that will hurt". It effectively teaches fear. It generally does not teach the why behind the no. I still can't wrap my head around people thinking that this will result in a well behaved and responsible anyone, human or otherwise.

Truth is, I have never punched someone partly because I can't stand the thought of hearing the sound it must make much less feeling it run up my arm.

Truth is, I don't like myself so much when I am that angry and would likely like myself less if I actually clocked the source of that anger, human or otherwise.

When you look at it like that, my beliefs could be viewed as completely self serving.

Truth is, I really do believe we have a choice. I also believe that it takes more strength to walk away (literally and figuratively speaking) from violence (in all forms) than it takes to participate in the same.

Truth is, I believe, in part, that it takes more strength because our society tells us that those that do walk away are weak. No one wants to be viewed as weak. Pride, God love it.

Truth is, I believe, in part, that it takes more strength because it requires thought, it makes you look at the why behind the no (figuratively speaking); not just the reaction to the same.

You really don't have to climb into the ring with the gorilla, it is a choice, one that often takes more strength than most believe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More