Sunday, April 15, 2012

No one left bread crumbs

Sitting here I have written at least five opening sentences. It is not surprising that the topic that finds me unable to write is Katie.

I placed an ad for Katie about a month ago. I didn't renew the ad after the initial seven days expired, mostly because I don't really want anyone to answer the ad! I got a couple responses, only one that was worth my, or Katie's, time.

I have worried over Katie's future for a long time, I'd say it started the minute I saw her. I look at her and I only want the absolute best for her. She has always, always, evoked the very best in me.

There is something very special about Katie that makes it really hard not to fall in love with her. It's not because she is an easy, laid back pony that anyone could crawl on. It's not because she is an angel in the pasture with the other horses either :-).

Katie is smart, sensitive, and tends to think she is a Princess in horse form. She is a bossy pain in the ass to the other horses that share her barn, pasture, and people.

Katie is expressive, if she is upset or frustrated she will shake her head. She will pin her ears and look like a giant snake, not to mention the scariest pony ever, if the dog comes near her; she won't however, hurt the dog.

Katie thinks she is the most important person on the property.

Katie will rub her nose on you like the biggest ant eater you've ever seen however, she would never bite you.

Katie loves watermelon, cantaloupe, bananas, and pretty much any fruit that she is allowed (is safe) to eat. I make homemade horse treats; Katie is the worse tester ever (she loves everything!).

Katie is so clean in her stall that I suspect she'd go outside if only she could figure out the latch on her stall door.

Katie was treated poorly when she was young, by a trainer that asked her in ways that were harsh. Have I mentioned that Katie is sensitive?

Katie was passed around a lot; a lot of people have "owned" Katie. Have I mentioned that Katie is sensitive?

Katie had/has trust issues.

Katie has worked very hard to get over the better part of that. Sarah helped bring Katie to where she is today. The horse Katie was when she began with Sarah is not the horse that enjoys the farm today. A lot of the trust that Katie has found in herself is due to the time she spent with Sarah.

Watching her today with that young girl I felt so proud; proud for her, not of her. I do believe there is a difference.

They arrived and Katie and Brody were in the pasture. I called Katie and she came, they remarked on how she was easy to catch. I don't suppose they realized that any time I call Katie it means something good so why wouldn't she come!? Anyway we stood in the pasture for a few minutes; Brody was very curious to see a halter being put on Katie in the pasture. We walked down to the arena area with Brody in tow and talked a bit.

They had brought their saddles/tack (upon request) and while the trainer and the girls went to get everything, I stood there with Katie and I inside the arena and the girl's dad on the outside with a slightly confused Brody. Brody had taken a real shine to the father by the end of the visit.

I, naturally, had to launch into a "all that is unattractive about Katie" speech. I think he thought I was nuts. He'd ask "How is she with the farrier?" I'd babble "Oh gosh, she's great with the farrier, and her feet are solid, she's actually really easy." All of that is true. It does not have to be followed up by "you know, she's great in all the 'regular horse' ways but she is sensitive and she is smart so she needs someone that is experienced, she sorta expects her rider to know what they are doing, and you know she is a mare, she's not bitchy (oops pardon my language) when she is in season but she is a mare and she is usually the lead mare, not with people but with horses she can be kinda bitchy (oops pardon my language)..." The poor guy, it happened when he asked about the farrier, loading, and even grooming.

I could just as easily said, yes please buy/care lease my horse because she's a great fit for your daughter but oh wait no don't do that cause I can't stand the thought of her really leaving so perhaps this is a bad idea.

A shame no one left breadcrumbs; had they, this path might be easier to navigate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More