Thursday, May 26, 2011

Patch, I apologize in advance

I'll skip the whole "wow I suck at updating this blog however I've been busy..." routine.

Tonight is a big night, we're gonna clean Patch's sheath. Nope never done it, nope not looking forward to it, yes I will have the assistance of someone who has done this before not to mention recently.

My stomach drops at the thought of this little undertaking. Just a tiny catch of the breath each time I think of it, just enough to remind me that I love that little guy beyond reason. He makes me smile every day, his morning hello is something every lonely or lost person in the world should be privy to; I quite literally thank the stars for every day that he's in my life.

All that being said, I also know Patch pretty well. I have no fears of him kicking out or anything of the sort. I'm pretty sure he's gonna be insulted though. I'm also pretty sure he's going to assure himself that he was right; I am a sissy pants, tree hugging, bleeding heart, worry wart and he'll likely use that to justify the silent treatment that will follow. I am absolutely not kidding.

Describing Patch is hard for me, he's so many things and my gosh does he have personality.

He comes to the door and waits for a treat, he only leaves if Tex comes by and then once Tex leaves he'll go back to standing vigil. He knows it works and he's in no hurry. He isn't afraid of Texas, he won't however waste his time with Tex's constant flexing. He simply moves out of the way until Tex is done prancing about as if he is the VIP of the group. That little dance goes on a lot around here and if you watch closely you can catch Patch's eye when it's happening, he is all but rolling his eyes and muttering "kids these days..."

He chases Leo, he doesn't chase Leo a lot and he doesn't ever over step when he is chasing Leo. He stays right on Leo's butt, just close enough to catch Leo's attention but never close enough to actually mis-step and land on Leo. He puts his head down, pins his ears and prances after him, it does in fact look a little like a prance. I think it only happens when Patch has had it with Leo's firm belief that he is actually the VIP of the group.

The horses are allowed in the yard, it's fenced and I like it so I don't much care anymore if it seems odd to have three horses wandering the yard. They like it too, there is some yummy grass in the yard. Anyway when they are wandering the yard the stalls are typically open as well. They will each go in the barn and check out the stalls a few times. When it's close to dinner they will go in and out checking for hay, when hay is in there for dinner they will go in, look at the hay, look for me, take a bite and debate staying and eating or grass in the yard. That's a fun one to watch but I digress...

If (during the yard wandering) Katie goes in her stall (she's in the middle) and Patch is around he will shut her door with his nose, no he can't lock it but I suspect he would if only he had thumbs!

If I feed them in the pasture and Patch is tired of the "pile hopping" that goes on he will look at you as if to say "seriously if I could pick up this pile and move it away from these two I would...".

He tells on Texas, frequently.

He acts like he HATES his blanket. He stands there and lays his cute little ears down and looks at me like I'm a ... (see above sissy pants remark).

He acts the same way when I go in his stall and hug him and brush him.

But he is the first one to come say hi, he's the first one to say good morning, he will lay his head on your shoulder so long as no one is watching and he might act like he hates the brushing and primping but he sure moves into my hand when it's happening! He might think I am a big sissy pants worry wart but he loves me anyway.

Maybe we'll have a little talk about things that are "for your own good" today. I don't have much else planned! I'm sure once he is done being insulted and Saturday rolls around (yes I know it's only Thursday, remember the silent treatment) all will be well, not to mention clean!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More