Monday, February 14, 2011

At least the rain is consistent

I have had a hard time blogging with any consistency these last few weeks. It is however another rainy day and I thought I'd take a minute and try to write something readable!

There hasn't been a lot of horsey activity in the last few days, everyone is pretty on schedule and enjoying the smattering of sunshine we've had recently. I'm pretty happy with Amber's weight, her weight always concerns me. She is a worrier and it seems the minute she worries off come the pounds. She is however finally leveling out. She is a lot more relaxed these days and it's starting to show which makes me happy.

It's strange to me that people (wide generalization here) discount, if not completely disregard, the range of feelings animals have. We have no problem understanding an angry dog, for example. Why do you suppose it's hard for us to grasp that they also feel other emotions? Everything from fear to friendship to jealousy to boredom to worry or anxiety.

It's really easy to discount them with an off the cuff "he's just a dog.." "they are only horses..." etc etc... I think partially because they don't talk. They don't express themselves as we do and as a result they must be lesser than us, perhaps even too dense to grasp feelings.

Having spent the better part of the last two and a half months sequestered on the farm surrounded primarily by beings that don't speak, there have been more than a few times when I've found myself surprised at the range of feelings they display when you pay attention.

Saturday it rained, pretty much all day. The horses were in their stalls, Leo was in the house with me and no one really got to do much of anything. Talk about communication among the troops! Every single last one of them, including Leo, thought that staying inside all day was utter bullshit and every single last one of them told me so.

In little ways every day they will tell you how they feel, to discount those feelings as simple because they can not express them as we do really is the height of conceit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More