Saturday, February 18, 2012

Qualifications & televised funerals

I like to think of this blog as the soft and safe place where I can express how much love I have for the animals, how they changed my life, and all that touchy feely stuff that I love so much, without feeling like a tree hugging, animal loving, freak of nature. Here I can admit things like 'riding is secondary to me, sort of a bonus' and not feel like a sub par horse person. It's like my electronic 'happy place'. I try not to bring negative into my happy little electronic world, as a result there is very little in the way of political beliefs, religious beliefs, current events and/or my thoughts on them. Mostly I think our country has lost its collective mind so any discussion surrounding the same would certainly bring negative to my touchy feely blog.


That's quite possibly the best qualification for breaking my own rules that I've come up with (in awhile). 


Whitney Houston died the other day; no, I honestly don't recall which particular day it was and I am steadfastly refusing to google it for accuracy because you know what? I don't really care. Had it not turned into a national flippin' holiday I might have a bit more in the way of sympathy however it has, without surprise, turned into an event so epic to the citizens of this country members of our government are ordering flags flown at half staff/mast (whichever you prefer). Now, when you say something like that out loud, and I am sure I am not the only one disgusted with this mess, people think you are cold and all kinds of other nifty adjectives. 


Of course it's sad that she died. My goodness sake, it is sad when anyone dies as a result of substance abuse and, drum roll please, that is precisely what happened to her. Lets pretend that we have paid any mind to the woman in the last ten years and she had continued to make music we all bought and loved. Lets even pretend that her music was so touching, so inspirational, it altered life views for troubled souls. Lets forget that her biggest hit was a god damn Dolly Parton cover. Does an entertainer deserve the same honor as a fallen soldier, a world leader, a civil rights leader, etc? Really? Isn't there something biblical out there about false idols? I'm breaking the no politics rule, may as well break the no religion rule. 


I'm not afraid god is going to strike the US dead cause we are stupid enough to put our stock in entertainers and money making machines, I am afraid that the good old US is gonna shoot all of our feet clean through the middle if we don't get our collective heads out of asses of the rich and famous. Corporate America or Hollywood Idols, it's the same same. We really ought to be worried about the fate of the generations following us. If our priorities are this far out of whack now, what in the hell will they be like in twenty years? I have a grandson, I worry.


Yesterday I got wind of an Arab that had suffered the same circumstances that Brody suffered. Abandoned, left to starve, through no fault of her own. She was rescued. 


On February 11th Army Pfc. Cesar Cortez, 24, of Oceanside, Calif., died in Bahrain, through no fault of his own. He was not rescued.


While I am sure a flag flew somewhere for Private Cortez, I am equally sure our nation, as a whole, did not honor his contributions to the same.


For that we ought to be ashamed, as a whole, as a nation, as a society, as human beings. 













Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/18/3436856/military-deaths.html#storylink=cpy








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More