Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Proper Voice

I often struggle to put the horses to words. How do you describe what it feels like to walk up to the gate and be greeted with a curiously large nose? How can you put to words the feeling that follows you as you run a brush through a tail that reaches beyond the length of your leg? How do you explain what it feels like to have an animal four times your size lay it's head in your lap? How can you possibly put to words what happens when a they look at you with eyes bigger than a Montana sky?

I try, and often fail, to express the depth of feeling that surrounds the horses. Tonight Amber laid down in her stall when Dale and I were still up at the barn. I happened to be in her stall when she finally did lay down and while we did not spend a half an hour laying together in her stall she did allow me to hold her head, nearly in my lap, while she rested.

There is something that borders on sacred when love, without judgement, is laying in your lap. One day I might be able to give it all proper voice; tonight I will relish the warmth that has followed me from the barn and try again tomorrow to find the woman that has the words that can describe the love that follows the ponies to sleep every night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More